Paraphrasing the lyrics of The Kinks, ‘you’ refers to our politicians, our media and the majority of the public who voted for Brexit.
For ‘starters’ I am tired of waiting for:
- politicians who believe one can ‘leave’ the EU and remain in the Customs Union;
- politicians who believe that the UK can leave the Single Market and the Customs Union and still trade with the EU;
- politicians who believe that a free trade deal with the EU can be negotiated within two years (or less), when history shows us otherwise;
- politicians who believe that membership of EFTA means having to obey all the rules of the EU without any say in their formation;
- politicians who believe that membership of the EEA means being unable to control immigration;
- politicians who appear to have no idea that the EU is but a middleman where the setting of global standards are concerned
In short, I am tired of waiting for politicians who know nothing of ‘matters EU’ to show an inclination to rectify their lack of knowledge on the subject; I am tired of politicians who believe they are Gods gift to the country when in fact they are the greatest curse our country has borne.
I am tired of a media who blithely repeat the statements of politicians without any thought as to whether what the latter is saying is true or not. I am tired of a media who, unlike any of the electorate, can hold politician’s ‘feet to the fire’ on a daily basis – but don’t.