We are informed that £billions needs to be spent on renovating the Palace of Westminster; a renovation programme which could last up to 40 years and cost more than £7bn, according to a comprehensive official report. We are also informed, by the Palace of Westminster website, that the Restoration and Renewal Programme has been established to tackle the significant work that needs to be done to protect the heritage of the Palace of Westminster and ensure it can continue to serve as home to the UK Parliament in the 21st century and beyond.
Paraphrasing the lyrics of The Kinks, ‘you’ refers to our politicians, our media and the majority of the public who voted for Brexit.
For ‘starters’ I am tired of waiting for:
- politicians who believe one can ‘leave’ the EU and remain in the Customs Union;
- politicians who believe that the UK can leave the Single Market and the Customs Union and still trade with the EU;
- politicians who believe that a free trade deal with the EU can be negotiated within two years (or less), when history shows us otherwise;
- politicians who believe that membership of EFTA means having to obey all the rules of the EU without any say in their formation;
- politicians who believe that membership of the EEA means being unable to control immigration;
- politicians who appear to have no idea that the EU is but a middleman where the setting of global standards are concerned
In short, I am tired of waiting for politicians who know nothing of ‘matters EU’ to show an inclination to rectify their lack of knowledge on the subject; I am tired of politicians who believe they are Gods gift to the country when in fact they are the greatest curse our country has borne.
I am tired of a media who blithely repeat the statements of politicians without any thought as to whether what the latter is saying is true or not. I am tired of a media who, unlike any of the electorate, can hold politician’s ‘feet to the fire’ on a daily basis – but don’t.